Sago Boulevard

Sunday, November 13, 2005

"Fossils and Faith"

I spent a good part of Shabbat reading Nathan Aviezer's Fossils and Faith: Understanding Torah and Science. I had heard good things about Aviezer from my roommate in yeshivah, who actually made an appointment to meet with him. Like Stephen Barr, he doesn't shy away from approaching the hard questions. What I appreciate most about Aviezer's book is his excellent use of analogies in drawing important parallels between Torah and science.

Before you jump on me for supporting Aviezer, let me say that I'm really in no position to discuss the fine points of his argument. Being neither a physicist nor a biologist, I won't claim to fully understand scientific implications of the anthropic principle or quantam mechanics. Read it and decide for yourself.