Sago Boulevard

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Summer Reading Update

After several interruptions, I finally finished reading R. Walter Wurzburger's God is Proof Enough - about the meaning and significance of "faith" in Judaism. Although I've seen many of his ideas and arguments elsewhere, R. Wurzburger's formulations are exceptionally enlightening. I found myself (mostly) nodding in agreement as I read. A typical reaction after finishing a chapter was something along the lines of, "I've heard that before but now I think I really get it." It's a relatively easy read, not overly technical. Clearly, R. Wurzburger is well-versed in philosophy but he doesn't expect you to have read every major work in the western philosophical tradtion (like, say, R. Soloveitchik).

And now back to Dworkin's Law's Empire (which I had paused from to read Wurzburger). MacIntyre's After Virture and C.S. Lewis' The Four Loves are on deck. Other suggestions are appreciated.